To date, 27 people and an estimated half-billion mammals, birds and reptiles have died, and 2,000 homes have been destroyed by the recent fires in Australia. There are ways to help, even if you live across the globe.
• If you have plans to travel to the country, conduct research before canceling. While devastation is widespread, several areas remain unaffected.
• Donate directly to the state fire authority or local fire departments – many are volunteer-based.
• Support WIRES, a wildlife rescue nonprofit that helps rescue native animals.
• Donate to Australian Red Cross efforts.
• Help raise awareness through social media about how to help.