In 1913, Atlanta’s first luxurious high-rise apartments opened at the corner of Ponce de Leon Avenue and Peachtree Street. The timing of the Ponce de Leon Apartments’ opening was perfect – more Atlantans were moving north as it was becoming less fashionable to live downtown.
Designed by W. L. Stoddart, the apartments opened across from the Georgian Terrace Hotel, designed by the same architects. The 11-story, grand building continued to house some of Atlanta’s most affluent through the 1940s. Tenants enjoyed magnificent city views, a dining room, private telephone exchange, rooftop terraced garden and even fresh ice delivered daily.
– Caroline Parsley, The 100 Companies