After beating out Richmond and DC by raising the most money, Atlanta was chosen as the site for the 1889 construction of the Hebrew Orphan’s Asylum – later the Hebrew Orphan’s Home.
The home was founded by the District Grand Lodge of the B’nai B’rith, the largest and oldest Jewish fraternal organization. During its first 25 years, it housed almost 400 children – most from outside of Atlanta with a European background.
By 1930 Hebrew Orphan’s Home had closed, and began supporting foster care and adoption under the name Jewish Children’s Services. In 1988, the organization became the Jewish Educational Loan Fund.