When the Atlantic Steel mill – established in 1901 – officially shut down operations in 1997, the land was environmentally remediated and redeveloped into what is now Atlanta Station.
The property had formerly been part of the Rhodes Hall estate, now the headquarters of the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. Jacoby Development Inc. partnered with AIG for the project, and Atlantic Station officially opened in 2005.
Atlantic Station is known for its “live-work-play” environment and energy efficiency, with the pedestrian-friendly 17th Street Bridge, easy MARTA access and LEED-certified buildings. The award-winning, 138-acre development includes office spaces, residential areas, restaurants and retail stores.
– Mark C. McDonald, The Georgia Trust