In 1947, the Communicable Disease Center purchased land from Emory University for $10 that would house one of the world’s premiere health agencies. The CDC, established to continue World War II malaria control programs, was first tasked with combating mosquitoes and the spread of malaria in the Southeast.
Under the new name, Centers for Disease Control, the CDC has played a major role in eradicating smallpox, finding the cause of Legionnaires’ disease and toxic shock syndrome, reducing the spread of AIDS, obesity and more.
Today, the CDC employs 8,900 people in Georgia and purchases $364 million from Georgia businesses annually.
– Mark C. McDonald, Georgia Trust