Recently, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed five bills into law which are aimed at improving school safety and literacy:
• HB 147 – The Safe Schools Act requires public schools to conduct intruder alert drills and provide access to school safety and anti-gang personnel.
• HB 440 – Authorizes public and private schools to have ready-to-use glucagon, a medication to treat low blood sugar, on hand.
• HB 538 – The Georgia Early Literacy Act will approve high-quality teaching materials for grades kindergarten through third grade.
• SB 45 – Will provide treatment for students with epilepsy or seizure disorders.
• SB 211 – Establishes the Georgia Council on Literacy.