February is American Heart Month, and it goes way beyond Valentine’s Day heart-shaped treats. The American Heart Association started the annual month-long campaign in 1963 to raise awareness for those battling heart disease.
Keep your heart healthy year-round with these practical everyday tips:
• Stay away from tobacco. The substance does more harm than just damage to lungs.
• Maintain a healthy diet in order to keep blood pressure within acceptable levels.
• Incorporate cardio exercise into a regular workout routine.
• Stress hurts the heart, so find a hobby that relaxes you.
• An occasional glass of red wine can help lower cholesterol levels.