Starting as teen entrepreneurs, brothers James and Robert Paschal opened the first location of Paschal’s Restaurant in 1947 in Atlanta.
The 30-seat luncheonette offered sandwiches and sodas before expanding to offer hot lunches. With no stove or car, the brothers prepared the hot food at home and delivered it to the restaurant by taxi. Dinner was later added, with Robert’s ‘secret recipe’ fried chicken deemed the specialty of the house.
Newly expanded, Paschal’s became a meeting place for key civil rights leaders and strategists in the 1960s. A 21st-century version of Paschal’s Restaurant opened in the Castleberry Hill area in 2002.
– Laura Cubbage, 360 Media, Inc.