In a city rich with history, Mary Mac’s Tea Room has made its mark on Atlanta since 1945.
Founded by Mary MacKenzie, the restaurant first opened right after World War II, when women sought ways to earn a living but weren’t permitted to open restaurants. Instead, they opened establishments using the more refined Southern term “tea room.”
One of 16 tea rooms opened, it seated 75 guests in one dining room. Now it’s the only tea room remaining and has expanded to 13,000 square feet with six dining rooms and a full-service bar, making it one of Atlanta’s five largest restaurants.