Until 1904, the only way to cross the Chattahoochee River from Buckhead to Vinings was by ferry or boat, before a 280-foot steel bridge was erected. While cars had to wait and take turns navigating across the narrow, one-lane bridge, it remained the only direct route for 70 years.
Deemed unsafe and slated to be destroyed, a modern two-lane concrete bridge was then erected. However, locals Cecil and Hermoine (Hermi) Alexander petitioned to preserve the previous bridge as a pedestrian walkway.
In 1983, Hermoine was tragically killed by a drunk driver. The bridge was renamed Hermi’s Bridge in her honor.
– Katy Parker, 360 Media, Inc.