Initially established in 1905 as the Atlanta Art Association, the High Museum of Art was renamed in honor of Harriet Harwell Wilson High, who donated her family’s mansion to be used as a museum in 1926.
In 1962, a museum-sponsored trip to Paris ended in a plane crash, killing 106 Georgia arts patrons. The tragedy brought attention to the city’s arts culture. The Atlanta Memorial Arts Center was built to honor the victims.
The High moved to its current white postmodern building in 1983 and today is regarded as one of the most important art museums in the country.