Established in 1889, Agnes Scott College in Decatur educates women from around the world to “think deeply, live honorably and engage the intellectual and social challenges of their times.”
The women’s college was founded by minister Frank Gaines and named in honor of the mother of its primary benefactor, George Washington Scott. Agnes Scott College remains affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) today.
The first institution of higher education in Georgia to receive regional accreditation, the school’s current enrollment is just under 1,000 students. Alumnae include Georgia’s first female Rhodes Scholar and the first woman ordained a Presbyterian (U.S.A.) minister.