For 138 years, Atlanta-based Rich’s was a leading department store throughout the South and a favorite among locals.
Rich’s – originally named M. Rich & Co. – was opened in 1867 by Hungarian-Jewish immigrant Morris Rich, whose two brothers later joined as partners. The first suburban location opened in 1959 at Lenox Square, Georgia’s first shopping mall.
The Atlanta institution was purchased in 1976 and eventually replaced by Macy’s in 2005. Rich’s is still remembered today for its top-notch customer service, strong sense of civic responsibility and annual holiday traditions, including the Lighting of the Great Tree and rooftop Pink Pig ride.