From the ashes of the Great Atlanta Fire of 1917 came one of the city’s largest municipal markets: The Sweet Auburn Curb Market, which offers produce, meat, seafood and other items for sale.
The outdoor market, located at the geographic center of Atlanta at the time, opened in 1918. With fundraising from the Atlanta Women’s Club, a fireproof building was constructed to house the market in 1924. This original building continues to serve the community today. With its location on the new streetcar line and rekindled interest in local foods, the Curb Market is prime for renewed interest and revitalization.
– Mark C. McDonald, Georgia Trust