Designed by George Harwell Bond as an art deco cinema and live theater space, The Plaza Theatre first opened in December 1939. With a historical mix of art, cinema and architecture, it remains the oldest still-operating theatre in the city.
After becoming an X-rated adult cinema and live burlesque theatre in the 1970s, George LeFont purchased and renovated the 1,000-seat space in 1983, focusing on independent, foreign and art-house films.
After several more ownership changes, a new 25-year lease was recently signed with plans for a $4 million dollar renovation. A GoFundMe campaign has been launched for donations towards the project.