Holding the distinction of the city’s oldest and longest-serving hospital, Emory Saint Joseph’s Hospital was Atlanta’s first post-Civil War hospital. Opened in 1880 by four Sisters of Mercy as a 10-bed facility named Atlanta Hospital, it was later renamed St. Joseph’s Infirmary, with its School of Nursing opening in 1900.
It began at the corner of Baker and Courtland Streets, where the Atlanta Marriott Marquis now sits. In 1978, it moved to its current home on 32-acres in Sandy Springs. Recognized as a premier care provider in the Southeast, the acute-care facility now accommodates 410 beds serviced by over 750 physicians.