The Castle has been attracting attention throughout Atlanta ever since its construction began around 1909. The unusual house was designed and built by Ferdinand McMillan, a wealthy agricultural supplier, as his retirement home.
Also known as Fort Peace, the architectural landmark features a base made of Stone Mountain granite, shaped asbestos shingles and a high granite wall. Following McMillan’s death, The Castle was closely connected to the Atlanta arts community – housing artists, curators and art-related events.
The building was eventually sold to a New York investor and is now home to the restaurant Rose + Rye, which opened last year.
– Caroline Parsley, The 100 Companies