Before the Galloway School was formed, the prominent Neoclassical building in Chastain Park served as a white poorhouse for the county.
Designed in 1911, the Fulton County Almshouse was built to hold 145 residents – mostly elderly men and women with no money or place to live. African Americans lived nearby in what is now known as the Chastain Arts Center.
In 1969, Elliott Galloway leased the building and opened the Galloway School, which became one of the only private schools in Buckhead to be integrated. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s children were among the school’s students during its early years.
– Caroline Parsley, The 100 Companies