I recently read my friend Michelle Miller’s autobiography, “Belonging,” where she shares life lessons from her experiences. I particularly related to her grandmother’s advice on finding love, and what struck me was that Bigmama’s “Big Five” also apply to forging business relationships.
I have taken poetic license with her tips:
• Ambition – Don’t settle for a slacker or someone who feels entitled.
• Smart – Both “book” knowledge and common sense are critical.
• Conscientious – Be a problem solver.
• Funny – A sense of humor, even in difficult times, puts things in perspective.
• Attractive – Being poised in the way you present yourself conveys confidence.