May is National Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and with the weather warming up, it’s a good time to remind ourselves about what can be done daily to reduce the risk of contracting this common cancer.
Here are a few tips:
• Apply sunscreen daily 30 minutes before exposure to sun. Use a sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB radiation.
• Reapply sunscreen every two hours – more often if swimming or sweating.
• Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
• Wear a hat and sunglasses to keep sun off your face.
• Eat fruits and veggies – these foods replace antioxidants damaged by UV light exposure.