In 1926, the first plane flew into Atlanta’s first airport, developed on the abandoned Atlanta Speedway and named after the property’s former owner, Coca-Cola tycoon Asa Candler.
During World War II, it was a military airfield and the nation’s busiest airport at the time with a record 1,700 takeoffs and landings in a day. Then it became Atlanta Municipal Airport.
The $500 million William B. Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport, named after the former Atlanta mayor, an early promoter of air travel, opened in 1980. It was renamed in 2003 to include former mayor Maynard Jackson just months after his death.