Activated charcoal may not actually cure everything, but it’s currently one of the hottest health and beauty ingredients. Made from heated coconut shells and available as a powder or pill, it binds to toxins and flushes them out.
Here are some trendy uses:
• Face wash and skin care products – It sticks to dirt and oil and reduces acne.
• Hangover prevention – The jury’s still out on the scientific evidence, but 20-somethings swear by it.
• Toothpaste – It can remove surface stains and treat bad breath.
• Ice cream – Feel less guilty indulging in these snapshot-worthy treats, known for their detoxifying qualities.
– Megan O’Malley, The Alaska 100