Each year, fireworks cause an average of 1,300 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires and nearly 17,000 other fires, causing thousands of injuries.
Below are five firework safety tips to practice and teach your kids.
1. Fireworks packaged in brown paper are for professional displays – avoid buying.
2. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
3. Never point or throw them at someone.
4. Keep a water bucket or hose handy in case of fire and to douse used fireworks before discarding.
5. Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.