When it comes to New Year’s traditions, the South has some pretty tasty ones – pork, collard greens, black-eyed peas, cornbread – but there are many more celebrated around the world.
Make some noise:
• Firecrackers to ward off darkness (China).
• Ring church bells (Italy).
• Beat drums (Switzerland).
• Sound sirens and party horns (USA).
Lucky food and drink:
• Eat ring-shaped treats symbolizing coming full circle and good fortune.
• Whipped cream dropped on the floor signifies the richness of the year to come (Switzerland).
• Add rice to New Year’s dishes for the promise of prosperity (India).
• Toast with hot, spiced wine (Holland).