Other than the temporary hospitals during the Civil War, Atlanta’s first official hospital wasn’t established until 1880. When it opened, an Atlanta Constitution article announced, “Atlanta has a hospital at last.”
Initially located downtown, St. Joseph’s Infirmary was started by a group of four sisters from the Sisters of Mercy order. Adding a nursing school in 1900 and a surgical wing in 1902, it continued expanding to become one of the nation’s top-ranked hospitals.
The hospital moved to its current Peachtree Dunwoody location in 1978, and was renamed Emory Saint Joseph’s Hospital in 2011 after partnering with Emory University.