The site on which the Richard B. Russell Federal Building stands was once a bustling train station. Costing $1.6 million to build, Terminal Station opened in 1905.
The station was designed by P. Thornton Marye, who also designed the Fox Theatre. For decades, it served as Atlanta’s main connection to Florida and states across the Midwest and Northeast, at one point serving 86 trains a day.
The train shed was torn down in 1925, the station closed in 1970 and was razed in 1972. All that remains is one platform, an old switch tower and a portion of lead trackage.